Braces can fix the alignment of your teeth to create a beautiful bite, but retainers maintain that alignment. If your braces are taken off and you fail to wear your retainer, your teeth can easily shift back to their original positions, negating all the cost and effort of your orthodontic visits.
While the main purpose of your retainer is to maintain your bite, here are some other interesting and little-known benefits:
1. Do you snore? According to the Consumer Guide to Dentistry, special types of retainers can help normalize your breathing patterns, promoting better sleep.
2. Does your child have impaired speech? Wearing a retainer can help adjust your child’s tongue placement, making it easier to form sounds correctly.
3. Maintaining straighter teeth is not just about your appearance. It means better oral health. Straight teeth are easier to clean. They naturally build less plaque so you have less cavities.
4. According to the American Diabetes Association, poor oral health is closely correlated with diabetes. If you wear your retainer and keep your teeth straight and your bite healthy, you actually have a statistically decreased chance of getting diabetes.
5. Straight teeth help us chew our food more effectively, thereby getting more nutrients from our food, which leads to a healthier body.
If your braces are coming off soon and you have questions or you are having issues with your retainer, please call Sossaman Family Dental in Mesa, AZ at 480-359-1464. Our orthodontist, Dr. Timothy Yu, would be happy to assist you.