Are you considering brightening your smile? You’re not the only one. When the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry asked dental patients what they most want to improve about their smile, the #1 answer was teeth whitening. Before you look at possible treatments, here are some answers to frequently asked questions about teeth whitening:
Why are my teeth discolored?
There are many possible reasons:
• Food: Coffee, tea, red wine and even dark sodas can stain your teeth
• Drugs/Medical Treatment: Tobacco, antihistamines, antipsychotics, or high blood pressure medicine, chemotherapy, or head or neck radiation treatments can over time cause discoloration
• Age: Your white tooth enamel naturally deteriorates as you age, revealing yellowed dentin underneath
• Injury: Physical trauma can remove enamel as well
How do teeth whiteners brighten my smile?
Over-the-counter whitening products contain gentle bleaching agents which break up the stains on your teeth. If you want to try over-the-counter products, please use only those products with an ADA seal of acceptance, which are tested for safety and effectiveness. If you request teeth whitening at Sossaman Family Dental, you can trust us to use gentle yet powerful products.
Does whitening work on all stains?
Not all. Dr. Elena M. Alexander, Dr. Jared Mayer, and Dr. Timothy Yu can give you the most personalized advice, but here are a few guidelines:
• Yellow teeth respond well to bleach treatments. Brown and gray tones typically don’t.
• Veneers, crowns and fillings can’t be whitened with bleach.
• Discoloration caused by medications or injuries are usually not reversible
Interested in receiving a tooth whitening treatment from our office? Call us Sossaman Family Dental in Mesa, Arizona at 480-359-1464. We’ll bring back the sparkle in your smile.